Many people taking up the IELTS are confused regarding opting for IELTS Academic or for IELTS General. The answer lies in the reason you are taking up the IELTS.
In case of getting into a university where English is important or for the professional registration, you need to do the IELTS Academic. If the purpose is migration, then you need to do the IELTS General.
The IELTS comprises of four parts:
Reading, Writing, Listening and Speaking
Writing Task 2, as well as Listening and Speaking are similar for IELTS Academic/ General.
The task 2 in Writing
involves an essay. It needs answering in 250 words within 40 minutes.
Additionally, the Listening test
, involves hearing four audio recordings and answering 40 questions. Its period is 30-40 minutes.
Moreover, the Speaking test
has an interview by an examiner. It has 3 parts: the main interview, the short presentation, followed by a discussion lasting 11-14 minutes.
Moreover, the major difference between these two tests is the Writing Task 1 and Reading.
IELTS Academic/ IELTS General:
Writing Task 1 in Academic
Describing and analyzing data in:
- Bar chart
- Pie chart
- Line graph
Writing a letter in Formal, Semi-formal or Informal styles
The time is 20 minutes for completing these tasks and writing 150 words for each.
IELTS Academic or IELTS General: Reading in Academic
- 3 passages which increase in difficulty
- Academic style texts (journal articles, textbook extracts)
- Texts related to academic topics such as science, history, sociology
- 4 short passages increasing in length and difficulty
- More general /everyday style texts
- Texts concerning advertisements, notices, job descriptions, employment contracts newspapers, magazines, and travel brochures.
- The time is 60 minutes to complete reading tasks.
Which is ideal - IELTS General and IELTS Academic?
It depends on the scenario and the qualifications in a particular country. If you are not sure which test to take, it is advisable to ask the organization requesting the IELTS. Finally learn the latest strategies and modern methods and success is yours.