IELTS Writing: Four Smart Steps for success
IELTS General Training/Academic requires writing an essay of 250 words in Part 2. Students can perform better when they understand the lookout of the examiner and accordingly deliver proper content.
IELTS assessment criteria:
- Task achievement. The candidates have to answer all sections of the question, and also come up with a relevant answer. They must also offer supporting ideas for their points.
- Cohesion and coherence. The writing has to be structured and easy to read/understand. Organize the ideas and set the paragraphs; link your thoughts with proper words. However, furthermore, despite and therefore are good examples.
- Lexical resource. Use the vocabulary extensively. It is good for a high score. The errors you make should be less and not affect the process of understanding.
- Grammatical range and accuracy. It is important to use many grammatical structures. The errors you make should be less and not affect the process of understanding.
Also, apply them to the essay.
Read the essay carefully. While reading it, think about the criteria and make a decision regarding the performance of the writer s in each category.
The world would be fine when we speak the same language. Is this true?
Today the world is interconnected and there is a growth of travel. We need to examine the concept of using a universal language.
There are some benefits in travel and business, but a common language is a threat to the culture the identity. There are no language barriers and global Travel is easy and accessible. Moreover, there is no misunderstanding in the business. Furthermore, in areas of conflict with multiple troops from different countries, the work is easier because all the people involved are speaking one language. Language reflects a culture and by speaking it we can project a cultural history and identity. Moreover, the changes in language reflect the history and culture of a society. By losing a language we lose our culture.
Additionally, the language has a link to the way of thinking of the people. People speaking multiple languages can alter their thought process easily. The world speaking a single language will eliminate diversity in thinking and also, threaten future development._
In conclusion, a universal language makes the world easier but it will not be a better place. It leads to loss of identity, culture, and diversity. These losses outweigh the gains it brings.
After making your notes, compare your notes with the notes of the teacher.
- Task achievement. The answers are good, and all the points are relevant. There are examples and ideas supporting the points.
- Cohesion and Coherence. The structure is fine and the introduction is clear. The three paragraphs deal with a point each, and the conclusion is clear. The use of signpost words good like moreover, furthermore and in conclusion serve the purpose.
- Lexical resource. The range of vocabulary, and the correct use of words like language barriers, thought process, cultural history and identity, universal language can fetch good marks.
- Grammatical range and accuracy is of the highest order here. Language reflects a culture and by speaking it we can project a cultural history and identity is also good.
Conclusion: the candidate produces a good essay and can earn a band score of 8.
After this, the candidate has to assess his/her performance. Write a practice essay, and have a look at the essay many times. Also, focus on one assessment criteria in one session. The notes will help them to do well and also identify the areas of improvement.
Teach5 works on the philosophy of bringing guidance and tips to solve IELTS and PTE. The aim is to help our patrons in a big way and boost their confidence by conducting classes, online and offline to answer it well. Please contact us for further details.