IELTS Reading Tips for a better score
There are a few candidates who do not prepare for IELTS reading section at all. Some avid readers think that reading is enough to get them through the IELTS Reading Section.
The IELTS reading test involves more than testing the reading ability. It combines using skills to solve a problem, and also to answer a question efficiently. Only reading for pleasure will not help in the test. It is important to practice and perfect the reading skills of the test. Here we present some tips to help the candidates.
Reading Tips: First Know the Format
Conduct a research regarding the IELTS reading format before taking the test. Relying on the love of reading will not translate into the reading skills required for this section. There is one hour for reading three texts, and answering 40 questions, which is tough. Every minute of this time is important, in tackling the questions. Also do not waste time to work out, knowing the type of questions asked. Finding the breakdown of the IELTS reading section online, is simple. The different tasks in the reading section are:
The students have to Match Information, Headings, Features and finally Sentence Endings
Multiple Choices/ Identifying an Information Task
The formats are A/B/C/and D, or True/False/ and Not given and finally Yes/No/Not Given
These tasks involve Sentence Completion, Summaries, Notes, Tables, Flow-charts and also Diagram Completion.
Short Answer Task
All these tasks must be familiar by constant and extensive practice. These are very important to take the IELTS. Get the sense of the complexity of such questions, by seeing the practice questions.
Reading Tips: Finding relevant information
The IELTS reading section has an overload of information. It is a tough job to filter this information and find important points.
- Finding them is simple, because these points in a passage are those which are directly related to the questions asked.
- Learn all the details you need, by reading the questions, as well the options of answers, before reading the text.\
- Know what the passage is about.
- When a question relates to a cause or reason of an event, talk about it.
- Also identify several reasons contributing to it.
- The next task is to find the most important cause/reason.
- Have a broad vision, and look at it from all angles and scenarios.
- Read the answer options, and know what to look for after reading the passage.
- Also use the process of elimination for finding the right answer.
- Look for a clue in the text which suggests related
- Moreover, it is important to work on vocabulary and know a variety of words.
- Know more synonyms and also use a thesaurus while reading and writing.
Reading Tips: Have a unique and personal Practice Test
It is important to try practice questions obtained from reliable sources on the internet. Take these Steps:
Read sites covering science and news having articles that interest you.
Read them carefully, make notes regarding important points.
Write questions on these articles using the different IELTS reading format. Find the valid reason or cause among the choices before you.
While creating own question set with the relevant and important information about the passage, you are having a practicing session. It covers reading and deduction skills, also involving the test format. It is effective. All tasks get easy with constant practice.
By following these guidelines, success will be yours. Go ahead confidently.