IELTS Listening: Useful tips
For ensuring a better performance we need to know the details regarding what is inside the IELTS Listening Test. Here we provide an overview of the IELTS Listening Section and discuss a few insights to maximize the time to answer the questions. We talk regarding the structure, the type of questions, and time management.
The Listening Section has 4 sections, and there are 10 questions in each section. The time is 30 minutes for completing before sections. Additionally, there are 10 extra minutes for transferring the answers from the question sheet to an answer sheet.
Furthermore, the listening test carries 4 recordings for a candidate to listen. Each recording requires answering 10 questions. The initial two recordings are about everyday situations:
- The first recording has a whole conversation dealing with two speakers.
- The second recording deals with a monologue or a single person speaking about any activities.
- The third and fourth recordings are about situations related to education or training. In section 3 a conversation happens between two main speakers.
- Finally, section 4 has a monologue covering an academic subject.
All candidates can listen to these recordings only once. Furthermore, this means that they have to do well in this task by preparing well. Please be familiar with the listening tasks.
The test involves six different types of listening tasks.
Each task tests a different skill. Recognize each task type in order to save time on the actual test. The different Task Types are:
- Multiple Choices;
- Two different Matching Times tasks;
- Planning, Mapping, and Labeling the Diagram;
- Forms, Notes, Tables, Flow-charts, Summary Completion;
- Completing Sentences, and finally
- Short Answer Questions
The tasks are not difficult. Organize your thoughts to do well in this section.
- Make a list of the listening tasks 1 – 6 and also write a short summary of how each question looks like.
- The challenge of attaining success in the IELTS exam is based on proper organization and management of the material.
- Be serious about preparations and also work out a plan regarding each task type.
- The success of a plan depends on good time management. For answering 40 questions in the section, manage the time in a wise manner. You also get 10 extra minutes for transferring the answers markings on the question sheet onto the answer sheets. This is important.
- IELTS gives permission to make notes and also to write on the question sheet. After using 30 minutes, you need some extra time for transferring the answers to the answer sheet.
- Be careful while transferring the answers to the answer sheet.
- Also, take extra care to not mix up questions and answers. Spelling and Grammar are also greatly important
- Do not be in a hurry.
- Also, have a check. When the writing is unclear, the answer gets a wrong marking.
Teach5 works on the philosophy of bringing guidance and tips to solve IELTS and PTE. The aim is to help our patrons in a big way and boost their confidence by conducting classes, online and offline to answer it well. Please contact us for further details.