We present ideal vocabulary tips that are based on science to speed up your vocabulary for GRE. This is an efficient and right manner to master the GRE vocabulary
1. The testing effect
The testing effect phenomenon is the focus of the study of education researchers. One can use it for boosting the GRE vocabulary. Taking a short quiz to get better knowledge is better than giving five minutes of extra study time. The brain resolves the mistakes, in case the question is wrong but there is a correction after it. Through this way, a person can remember a question. It is also helpful in retaining information that is the result of forced thinking.
Start a GRE session on vocabulary study by selecting five random words and go for the quiz. This way you can remember the words properly.
2. The brain exercises
Think about a brilliant childhood memory. Also, have a clear Picture of it in the mind. The pictures are vivid because the brain loves four aspects causing strongest memories. We deal with them.
People remember events and things that happen to them at a personal level.
People also remember moments associated with sadness, anger, joy, fear, disgust, frustration, and so on.
We remember memories which include sounds, vivid smells, and tastes.
All unusual, disgusting, shocking, surprising, or strange memories are remembered by us.
For a grasp of the GRE vocabulary word, it is better to associate them with a mental image involving the above four characteristics. Create an image or the scenario regarding a happening or event and remember it. Also, avoid boring and dry definitions. Furthermore, the brain remembers certain things well and you can train it to master the GRE vocabulary words.
3. Maintaining a file of difficult words for GRE vocabulary.
There are a few words that logically ought to mean one thing but actually carry a different meaning. Maintain a special set of flashcards for special and tough words. Also, include the words that trick your ear. Learn new words as a habit.
4. Create a new GRE vocabulary memory,
When we do not remember words it leads to a frustrating situation. We can overcome it hem with this simple GRE vocabulary tip. We can arrive at a correct definition by creating a mental image and by establishing a weird link in our mind. The best way is to imagine a situation and remain fair and interested in learning. Memories get strong with visualization to remember all the types of words. This way we can recall them well.
5. Definitions are not everything.
Look up for the words you intend to learn and also see how other people are using them. The results are surprising. Type in to know the words in Google, or also in the new resource of COCA- which is, in fact, the Corpus of Contemporary American English. Type the word, and check for the proper results. COCA makes use of text, news articles, shows on television, and a few other sources of American English. This leads towards reflecting the actual use of words. It is reliable and also similar to a search engine when you specifically look for a proper example in the sentences. After knowing example sentences you can understand a word deeply.
6. Knowing a few words is useful
It is better for all of us to know a small number of words. When the vocabulary knowledge is weak it can prove to be dangerous in the GRE.
7. Beware of second definitions.
There are many words like the flag which have multiple definitions. One definition is about the emblem or the piece of cloth depicting a nation. However, there is another meaning and that is not common. It also means losing energy or wearing out. The GRE, there are tricky styles of testing. Always opt for a revised definition when you see a strange or unusual word that is not common to be a GRE word. Also, ensure that you write down the definitions while making flashcards.
8. Step up your GRE vocabulary learning with science.
We partially forget some words and then make an attempt to re-learn them later. The end result of such exercise is that you are successful in creating a strong memory than in the initial stages. After learning a vocabulary word, review it at frequent intervals. After a long period review it again. This helps to strengthen the memory of a definition, and brain training happens. We can recall such words in any type of difficult conditions. Use this method in GRE vocabulary learning because it is easy and also gives good results.
9. Change things
Never study in the same place or during a similar time. You can develop a strong memory when you study in dissimilar places at different times. With the changes, there is training to the brain for practicing the retrieval of memories in different conditions. When the time to take the real GRE comes, you will be ready for all types of tasks.
- You can also recall definitions in the test center also.
- Make it a point to study at different times in different places. Change the system and style of study.
- Allow some person to ask questions and participate in the quiz also.
- Also, opt for a self-quiz.
- Look at the flashcard frequently on both sides.
- Write down the definitions.
- Say the definitions aloud.
- A brain loves much variety, and hence it is better to have a great deal of variety
10. Vocabulary is not the final destination
In the GRE there are no problems only dealing with reciting definitions? Both the GRE vocabulary types the Sentence Equivalence as well as the Text Completion need putting the vocabulary words into proper context sentences. It is definitely a complex matter and also requires a heavy dose of sound preparation.
There are reasons to miss a Text Completion or Sentence Equivalence issue. The cause is we cannot know some/all the vocabulary words. Do not miss a problem by misreading a sentence, or through a misunderstanding of the relationship between the blank and the remaining text.
There is a need to spend much time doing practice problems. Never memorize definitions. Pay attention to situations where you can misunderstand the structure of a sentence. Learning more vocabulary is not an answer. Finally, you can gain points by predicting the correct answer as per the GRE norms and specifications.
- As a conclusion, apply the focus on Reading.
- Also, have the habit of reading books, newspapers, and magazines.
- Pay attention to words that you do not know.
- Train yourself to notice words and also write them down.
- Also, do not assume that the initial definition itself is the correct one fit for knowing.
- The GRE also tests secondary definitions, and it is better to know them all.
- After learning the dictionary definition regarding new words, restate them in your own unique words. This will be easier to remember.
- When you see a new word while practicing for a test, add them to a list.
- They were used before in the GRE and can also be used again. Finally, find a list of most frequently tested works.
works on the philosophy of bringing guidance and tips to solve IELTS, PTE, GRE, TOEFL
. The aim is to help our patrons in a big way and boost their confidence by conducting classes, online and offline
to answer it well. Please contact us for further details.